COVID-19 Note to Taxpayer
Note to taxpayers,
The Porter County Assessor’s office recently mailed Notices of Assessments (Form 11’s) on April 30, 2020 for the assessment as of January 1, 2020. We understand that this is a very confusing time as you also recently received tax bills for 2019 pay 2020 all during the COVID-19 pandemic. What is happening right now in the market will not be realized or known until the assessment of 2021 pay 2022. The assessment notice you just received for January 1, 2020 is based on sales information from 2019.
We would like to stress that we are here to help answer questions as fast and as efficiently as possible during the pandemic. Our office is asking you to consider the following options during this time to better assist you:
- If you have general questions call 219-465-3460.
- Tax bill questions can be directed to the Treasurer at 219-465-3470.
- For properties located in Portage Township call 219-759-8221.
- For all other properties (not in Portage Township):
- You can make a phone appointment to review your assessment by calling 219-465-3370 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appeal forms can be mailed/ emailed to you by calling 219-465-3681 or email email@example.com. The appeal forms need to be postmarked by June 15th, 2020 to be considered as timely filed for the assessment of January 1, 2020. We do not accept emailed appeals.
- If you would like a file-stamped copy of your appeal, please include a SASE, self-addressed stamped envelope, with your appeal when you mail it to our office.
- For all properties in Porter County, you may access your assessment information or file an appeal online at www.portercountyassessor.com.
- While the evidence is not required at the time of filing it could help expedite it. Evidence should be relevant to the true tax value of the property as of the assessment date, January 1, 2020. If you have evidence right now, please include it with your appeal. If you intend to gather evidence after the appeal is filed you may mail or email it directly to our office :
Porter County Assessor
155 Indiana Ave., Suite 211
Valparaiso, IN 46385
**Please reference the parcel that you appealed**
Type of Evidence:
- Sale of the subject property/Offers to purchase
- A 2019 appraisal prepared by a licensed appraiser (Not required)
- 2019 sales of comparable properties
- For 1-3 rental units – current lease with rent info
- Construction Costs
Thank you for your patience during this difficult time as we are all dealing with the effects of this pandemic. Please know that if you have to leave a message via phone or email, someone from our office will be in touch with you as soon as possible as we are working with limited staff.